Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Writers Helping Writers


If you know me from Wattpad, then you know Wattpad is filled with amateur writers. And I don't mean that in a negative way. I mean it as Wattpad is where a lot of young writers are just starting out or even trying to get better at writing. And as a website of writers and also readers, should we not be helping each other out? Not everyone is fantastic the moment they start writing. That's why we provide positive feedback with helpful ways to improve. Not negative comments that make the writer feel bad about themselves.

First of all, this isn't a rant. I've received many negative comments, even hate comments in the past. And after reading through the author who wrote the above comment and all the other ones she's written on my story, I actually find it hilarious. 

How are we supposed to improve if people are putting us down? Why do people leave such rude comments in the first place? Does it make themselves feel better? Do they want to put us down? I honestly have no idea.

As writers, we should stick together and help each other. We all have different struggles in our writing and different weaknesses. But that doesn't mean we should pick each other apart. Everyone has to start somewhere, and even if that somewhere doesn't feel very good at first, it does get better.

1 comment:

  1. I can safely say that I've only gotten one negative comment, and all it said was, "I didn't like this ending, so I'm not going to read your stories anymore." I was like, "Tata, bish, don't let the door hit you on your way out."

    I feel like because Wattpad is an amateur--starting point, so to speak--writing website that the readers shouldn't be so critical. Like you said, Wattpad should be an environment of growth and encouragement rather than who's better than who and derogatory remarks. I've seen so many comments on Wattpad where people say that the writer should've/could've done better and that their story sucks, and it honestly makes me so sad.

    To me, negative marks are negative remarks regardless if they're on the internet or in person. Albeit, I'm less affected of negative remarks online, but still they are negative remarks. I really don't think Wattpad readers should hold Wattpad books to such high standards like I think a lot of the readers do. They expect beautiful prose and exceptional grammar...

    Yeah, if that's what you want, go read a published book. Criticize the edited and (supposedly) refined published book. I don't need negative comments on Wattpad of all places to bring me down and make me not want to write anymore. Some people on Wattpad, namely the bullies to be blunt, make me want to delete my account in fear of being bullied myself.

    I can honestly say that I'm disappointed in the majority of Wattpad not only because they expect too much but because they're so critical on first drafts.

    Some people need to realize the difference between constructive criticism and just flat out criticism.

    ReplyDelete