Friday, January 16, 2015

Book Review: Girl Online by Zoe Sugg

Penny has a secret.

Under the alias GirlOnline, she blogs about school dramas, boys, her mad, whirlwind family - and the panic attacks she's suffered from lately. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets the gorgeous, guitar-strumming Noah. Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment of it on her blog.

But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever.


I'm going to be honest, I'm a subscriber of Zoella and that's one of the main reasons I picked up this book. There's a lot of controversy over whether or not she actually wrote the book, but I'd like to believe that she took part in the process of it because it does have a few things that are very Zoe-inspired.
If I had not been an avid watcher of YouTube, I still think I would have picked up this book to read. Not only is the cover very appealing, but also the blurb is very cute and made me want to dive into this read.

I'll start off by saying that this is a very cute, fun read. It wasn't thrilling, mysterious, or emotional. I could see where the plot was going from the beginning but I still continued because it was just an easy, nice read. The character depth however filled the space it was lacking with plot however, because the main character Penny was very relateable and the love interest, Noah, was a realistic sweetheart.

And that's maybe why as a writer, I didn't mind the simple read. Noah's character wasn't the stereotypical bad-boy, troubled teen, or popular guy. He was very real and I loved that about him. Aside from that, Penny wasn't the only one who had drama going on - there were other things going on besides her main plot and I think that's what made this book more enjoyable because it wasn't so far-fetched.

The only big problem I had with this book was the pacing. There's a beginning, middle, and end, but the end felt rushed, the beginning felt long and the middle seemed to just be a lot of relationship building and filler until the main plot twist took place. Which by the way, took place at the end and was resolved at the end and then the book ended. No ends tied, nothing. And the plot twist was the most engaging part of the story, which made me very disappointed it didn't start earlier and go on for a longer period of time.

It was a cute, refreshing read for me to get back into reading again, which I've been slacking on. I enjoyed Girl Online and might read the second book if it seems interesting enough. However I don't think this is a book I'll ever reread. It was very predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment