Tuesday, December 23, 2014

My No-Fail List of Happiness Acomplishments



My psychiatrist said to me that any accomplishment no matter how small can make a difference in the way you feel. He said he has had patients that can't even bring themselves to get up to brush their teeth in the morning. So instead of telling them to do that, he told them to get up, look at their toothbrush, and then go back to bed.
It's not a revolution, but it's a start.


1. Put on pants
As someone who prefers fluffy pajama bottoms and leggings, this is a huge difference. I can still sit around all day and still feel like I did something, just because I'm wearing jeans.

2. Do laundry
It's not hard, and makes me feel like I'm pretending to be a grown-up. I kind of like that.

3. Do dishes
For something so tedious and simple, it does make me feel like I actually accomplished something that day. Side note - having to use cups for soup is not a good lifestyle choice.

4. 10 Minute workouts
YouTube is full of them. Ten minutes sounds short, but once you're busting your butt (literally, butt exercises are amazing) you'll wish it was only five.

5. Animal playtime
As someone who's been dealing with depression, it's hard for me to spend time with my hamster, even if he just curls up and sleeps on me. Quality time with pets can be rewarding for the both of you, and they're bound to do something to make you smile. And sometimes, one smile is all you need.

6. Tidy up your 'slacking area'
Mine is the couch. It's so bad that I have to change the cushions often because there's a visible couch dent from sitting there so often. I eat on the couch. I internet surf on the couch. I freak out on the couch. The couch is my safe place. When I clean it, as much as I hate cleaning, I notice I feel better. It's true - clean room, clean mind.

7. Healthy snack
Not only do you feel good after eating some good stuff, but you also feel less crappy because you did something productive - even if it is just eating.

8. Makeup, clothes and hair
Even if I have nowhere to go. Even if it's just putting my hair in a messy bun and wearing a comfy sweater, it's better to get ready than to sit in my pajamas all day.

9. Writing in a journal
Getting thoughts out of your head, making lists of things to do, writing out things you want to do in your life - it's all good.

10. The Bed Method
If I'm having a particularly bad day where I really can't do anything or am having too much anxiety to function, I gather all my blankets and pillows, put on my comfiest pajamas, and grab everything I need. Laptop, drinks, snacks, lip chap, phone, Advil, whatever I may want while there so I don't have to get out of bed. Then I either nap, watch movies, YouTube, whatever I can do that makes me feel even a tiny bit better or provides a distraction from my internal monologue. I stay there until I feel better, or until someone comes and pulls me out of my bad mood, and then I carry on.
molly♥ -
Seriously, who doesn't feel better when they're cozy?


Bonus Tip:
Look at pictures of kittens in sweaters. I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment